Thursday, April 23, 2009

Not Just Good-GREAT


WOW, once again a bad day turned-not good, but GREAT!!! Kolton never ceases to amaze me with what he knows and has learned. Today, he did two great things on his own that we have been working on for a couple of weeks.
Kolton is a low toned child- meaning he has low muscle tone and needs constant "stimulation." He likes to rock himself when he gets bored, tired or upset. It's a way to calm himself. A few weeks ago, I let out to Shannon, his AMAZING, therapist, that the rocking really bothered me. I guess it was like a visual reminder that he is different. (I will always try to refer to Kolton as "just different" as we all are in our own way). Shannon recommended a rocking horse or toy that Kolton could go to when he needed "his time." So I found his rocking moo cow. The best thing I have ever bought- and I buy alot!!! After a day Kolton was able to rock himself. I have scheduled a "rocking time" for Kolton everyday before his naptime. He rocks for about 20-30 minutes on his moo cow and then drifts off to sleep. Well today - when he was ready and needed his time, he crawled over to his moo cow. He's such a smarty!!
Kolton also uses a battery powered toothbrush to help stimulate his mouth/face muscles. To be honest I haven't been too consistent with using the toothbrush, but have tried to use it everyday for the last couple days. This morning when he saw the toothbrush, he opened his mouth!!! YAY- he usually hates it and it's more like a battle than something fun. Today he not only tolerated it, I think he slightly enjoyed it. YAY for Kolton.
After breakfast is finally over, Kolton and I enjoy some play time. We work on skills like "object permanence" (which he has down- another YAY for Kolton!) and putting things "in"(we're still working on that one)! We do some rough housing-the rougher the better, Kolton's like a little wrestler!! He has the cutest giggle that could melt anyone's heart. He crawled over to where I was laying on the floor. He put his head on me and said ma!! He has been saying ma for a while, but we don't know if he is trying to say "mama" or "more" or if he's just making noise, but today I am convinced he was saying mama and meant it!!
Such small milestones, that make such a difference. Milestones that so many take for granted. I know Kolton will some day feed himself, walk, and say mama and really mean it- he is just on his own time. When he reaches these milestones I will not only be super proud of him(and have a party) but I will be 100% more excited than if Kolton wasn't different.
It all goes back to appreciating the little things, and being really proud of working hard to accomplish something. So many people do the least they have to just to get by- heck I was one of them. Day by day, I am learning that I can't live in the past and wonder how things could be different. I can't live in the future and wonder what Kolton might not do. I can only live in today and now what Kolton is TODAY. With such a great day like this and so many small accomplishments made today is the only day I want to be in!!!
It's a Great Day.
Luv U More Everyday Boo Boo:)
XoXo,
Ma (In time Mama)

1 comment:

  1. good job /great job to you and MA!!!! See stars always shine!! love to my twiddle tweet xoxxoxoxoxo yer ole Gramme

    ReplyDelete