Friday, May 1, 2009

A Walk To Remember


I am so excited to write this new post!! Kolton had such a great week. Yesterday, Kolton walked (with his walker) all the way to Gramme's house, back home and then to the mailbox!!! YAY for those little legs!! I am not an expert in yards/feet- but for anyone that knows where I live- that was a BIG WALK!!! I am so PROUD!! I know walking independently is getting closer and closer!! Kolton wants to stand up all day- and has been cruising back and forth along the couch for the last 2 days. Go BOO BOO!! Wednesday, Kolton started his speech therapy and I think he did pretty good. So I am excited to see how things turn out once he gets to know the speech therapist better.
I am also SUPER PROUD of Kolton for accomplishing a major milestone- HE CAN PUT THINGS IN!!!!!!! YAY for Kolton- I am convinced that he's really a genius and is so smart he just can't get everything out!! We have been working hard for a few months to "put things in" and Wednesday I decided to try again (I don't like to push him too much) and he dropped his blocks right into his bowl- like he was an old pro!! I was screaming with JOY!! And called Shannon right away to share Kolton's victory!! I called her before I called dada!!! Oh well-
Kolton's personality is really growing- It's like a flower that is in bud and you can't wait for the bud to open to see the flower!! He is starting to act more and more his age and gets into everything!! He pulled his diaper off the other day when he woke up from naptime!! And he is putting all kinds of thing in his mouth (but not food!) and I am starting to get a little nervous. I feel like a new mom again- fussing over what is on the floor and is he going to choke on this or that!! I remember a few months ago, one of Kolton's therapist picked up a bead that Kaylee had left on the floor. She said she didn't want Kolton to choke and I told her not to worry because he NEVER puts anything in his mouth!! Well not anymore!!! I am actually a little excited that I need to clean the floor more often!! It's a step towards "normal". I find the more I treat Kolton like he is "normal" the more normal he acts?? I know for a while, I was treating Kolton like he was different. Wanting to do what I thought was the best for him, really wasn't. It just made me angry that I was treating him differently. I never told him no, and let him act like a wild animal if he wanted too! I was angry at myself for letting his diagnosis get in the way of being a mom. Kaylee was mad at me because Kolton was getting away with things and she couldn't! It was a mess.
So I realized that the more I treat him normal the better he does. And the better I do, and the better Kaylee does. Now when he splashes her in the bathtub and I say "no no Kolty", she thinks I am discipling him (he doesn't even know it!!) and there is a little more peace in my home!! I feel like I am treating my kids equal and am trying to set a good example for Kaylee. I don't want her growing up and treating Kolton differently. I want her to always know that he is her brother and everyone is different, but everyone should still be treated fairly.
I don't want to waste my time always over or under analyzing. We only have one chance for today and after today is over we can never have it back. I want to remember this day for what I did, not what I was thinking. I just want to be a mom to a beautiful little girl and a handsome little man. Yesterday- that's exactly what I was- a mom taking a walk with her kids. A walk that I will always remember.
Kolty, I am so proud of u-
Luv, Ma

1 comment:

  1. wow such a heartwarming and UPLIFTING story..my shining star gets brighter all the time..like his Gramme says he is her boy too and he is the same as the rest..actually full of surprises like the book the surprise in the package...always anticipating what will be inside..more and more and more everyday!!! not less just more!! You go KOLTY/MAMA?MISS KAYWEE xo yer ole Gramme

    ReplyDelete